A dog has recovered after chewing on a disinfectant bottle, reported vet charity, PDSA.\r\n\r\nRuby, an 11-year-old Jack Russell cross, splashed a small amount of the\u00a0disinfectant in her face. Her owner immediately washed her face with water but, the following morning,\u00a0Ruby was struggling to breathe.\r\n\r\nBournemouth PDSA Pet Hospital admitted Ruby for emergency treatment.\u00a0PDSA vet Emily Sharp, said: \u201cRuby was in a critical condition. Her tongue was very swollen, she was foaming at the mouth and severely dehydrated. She was put on a drip and given pain relief. We monitored her closely. At this stage, there were no signs of chemical burns \u2013 it was unclear what was causing the problem.\r\n\r\n\u201cBut 12 hours later, a discharge around her eyes, nose and mouth started to appear. Further tests revealed both eyes were severely ulcerated as both corneas had suffered chemical burns. The skin around her nose and mouth was inflamed, which we then attributed to the household detergent she came into contact with the previous day.\u201d\r\n\r\nRuby fought for her life and after five days in PDSA\u2019s Bournemouth Pet Hospital, she was allowed home. Her owner, Gary James continued her recuperation by putting the drops in her eyes and continuing her medication.\r\n\r\nGary said: \u201cRuby has been part of our family since she was six-months-old and my children love her to bits. Obviously we keep harmful things out of her reach but on this one occasion she came across a disinfectant bottle and bit into it. It was quite out of character but shows you just can\u2019t be too careful.\r\n\r\n\u201cI washed her face, and everything seemed fine. But next morning I was so shocked when I saw her. We were all devastated when we thought we were going to lose her. I\u2019m so grateful to PDSA for saving Ruby\u2019s life, I don\u2019t know what we would have done without them. I can\u2019t thank them enough.\u201d\r\n\r\nFor more information visit www.pdsa.org.uk.