Some three in 10 pet owners feed their dogs toxic foods, according to Canine Cottages.
Working with vet Charley Webb, Canine Cottages created an interactive tool, highlighting how toxic foods can affect their pets from their inside, and advice on what to do to treat them upon consumption.
According to the research, of the most common toxic foods, the top 10 that British pet owners didn’t know can be toxic to their dogs are: apple seeds, artificial sweetener, caffeine, onions/chives, coffee, garlic, grapes/raisins, mouldy food, alcohol and chocolate.
A further 2% of dog owners didn’t think that any of these foods were toxic to their pets.
The retailer also said nearly 8 in 10 (76%) pet owners were unaware that apple seeds could cause harm to their pets, and are seemingly unaware that they contain cyanide, a chemical that can cause hypoxia – a lack of oxygen delivery to the body.
Dr Charley Webb, vet and nutritionist at VetChef.com, said: “If you think your pet has eaten something that might be dangerous to them, stay calm and try not to panic. The best course of action is always to call the vet for advice right away, even if it’s the middle of the night or a weekend.
“Most pets recover fully if treated rapidly so it’s important to tell your vet as soon as you know that it has happened, as this can prevent them from causing serious harm and in some cases could save their lives.”
Shannon Keary, digital PR manager at Canine Cottages, added: “We may all know certain foods that we should avoid feeding our furry friends, but it is surprising to see how many pet owners don’t know that certain foods could cause harm to their pets, for example chocolate or alcohol.”