Industry NewsPet Owners

Shih Tzu swallows kitchen scourer whole

A Shih Tzu had his life saved by vet charity PDSA after swallowing a whole kitchen sponge, complete with scouring pad.

 

Alfie, who is 20 months old, was keeping his owner Maria Bird company as she cleaned the bathroom when he swiped a clean sponge from the packet and swallowed it whole.

 

Maria (53) from Jarrow, said: “Alfie has always been a mischief-maker but I was astounded when he wolfed down the sponge in one go! He seemed absolutely fine but I knew he could be in deep trouble. I rushed him straight to PDSA where vets checked him over.”   

 

Vet Nurse Caroline Watson was on duty at PDSA’s Gateshead Pet Hospital when Alfie was brought in. She said: “We gave Alfie an injection to make him sick and thankfully, the medicine worked its magic quickly. Thanks to the speedy actions of Maria, Alfie avoided a far worse fate, as when pets swallow foreign bodies, they can cause tears or fatal blockages in the digestive system.

 

Alfie returned home shortly after his ordeal and returned to his usual self. Maria concluded: “I am so grateful to PDSA for their fast action and help with Alfie. We are keeping a close eye on him to make sure he doesn’t snaffle any other spongy treats again!”

 

For more pet health advice visit www.pdsa.org.uk/pethealth

Back to top button