Industry NewsVeterinary

Vet Futures reveals the true feelings of the industry

New information released by the Vet Futures Survey shows how the veterinary profession can be stressful but rewarding. The survey was carried out as part of Vet Futures, a joint project from the British Veterinary Association (BVA) and Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS).

 

In relation to the ‘respected and valued role of vets in society’, the Vet Futures national ICM opinion poll, of more than 2,000 members of the public, found that 94 percent of the general public trusts the veterinary profession generally or completely.

 

59 percent felt that they had met or exceeded their expectations, leaving 41 percent saying their careers had only met some expectations (38 percent) or not met any (three percent). Amongst this large minority of dissatisfied vets the reasons for their responses included: few opportunities for progression, pay, and working hours.

 

BVA President John Blackwell said: “We know that younger vets are disproportionately represented amongst those who are feeling less positive about their own careers.There is clearly work to be done, through Vet Futures, for the profession to think innovatively in order to tackle some of their concerns around career progression, pay and working hours, as well as stress.”

RCVS President Stuart Reid added: “Through the Vet Futures project RCVS and BVA aim to address the lack of public awareness about the variety of roles undertaken by members of the profession, as well as increase understanding and access to these varied career opportunities amongst the profession.

For details of the Vet Futures visit www.vetfutures.org.uk

Back to top button