New research has found that a third of pet owners believe their pet has saved them from danger.
The survey conducted by Npower saw 2,000 pet owners interviewed as part of research into spotting the signs of a CO leak. One parent, interviewed for the survey, called for an ambulance after their pet barked repeatedly to let them know their one year old baby was having a convulsion.
Another owner revealed their dog woke them during the night while they were having a potentially lethal hypoglycaemic attack. A grateful respondent said their dog became agitated following a CO leak – alerting their owner to the leak, saving the life of the owner and their family.
CO poisoning often affects pets first and if their owners spot the symptoms, which include vomiting, tiredness and erratic behaviour their pet could alert them in time. One in 10 even claimed their much-loved cat or dog has directly saved their life or the life of someone they know. Further to this, four in 10 admit they wouldn’t be able to recognise the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Matthew Cole, spokesman for Npower said: “Log burners are really popular at the moment and they’re especially dangerous – one of the most dangerous things you have in your house. But the easiest way to keep your family safe is to install a carbon monoxide detector on each level of your home, which will alert you if it detects the presence of gas.
“You should also make sure to keep your household appliances regularly serviced and maintained.”