Current AffairsIndustry News

60% of owners feed pets toxic treats

A new survey has revealed that 60 percent of UK pet owners are feeding their furry friends human foods that are toxic when consumed by dogs and cats.

The research, commissioned by Webbox, has found that the cat really does get the cream as almost a third (29 percent) of pet owners are giving their cats milk or cream as a treat.

Cats and dogs can often be lactose intolerant, therefore strong dairy products such as cream and milk should always be avoided. Pet friendly alternatives can be purchased if a companion can’t keep away from the creamy goodness.

All pets get excited over treat time, but foods that humans consume can often be toxic when eaten by cats and dogs. Fruits such as grapes and raisins, which are commonly fed to pets, can be fatal if consumed in large quantities.

Alison Price, BVetMed BSc (Hons) MRCVS, Veterinary Surgeon, said: “Grape and raisin toxicity can cause acute kidney injury and renal failure in dogs and cats. If your pet has ingested even small amounts of grapes or raisins please contact your veterinary surgeon immediately.”

Jennifer Dean, Nutritionist for Webbox, said: “Pets are increasingly treated as members of the family, but this does not mean that they can share the family meals.

“Owners need to be aware that some common human foods are toxic to pets, and even those that are not poisonous can cause harm in terms of providing extra calories that lead to weight gain and obesity.

“Pet food is specially designed to provide all of the nutrients they need, and there are a large variety of pet treats available. So instead of sharing your dinner with your pet, why not give them their dinner at the same time, or give them a healthy treat?”

Back to top button