A hungry Glasgow-based pooch has undergone life-saving surgery to remove 4ft of his intestines because he swallowed a corn on the cob.
Rhodesian Ridgeback crossbreed, Sam, had an emergency operation to remove around half of his small intestine after PDSA vets discovered the corn husk was causing it to rot away.
PDSA senior vet, Susie Hermit, from the vet charity’s Glasgow Shamrock Street Pet Hospital, said it was one of the most severe cases she had ever seen: “We found that the corn on the cob husk was causing a major blockage in Sam’s small intestine, restricting the blood supply.
“Unfortunately, some of the damage was irreversible and we had to remove around half of his intestine, which had begun to die off and rot. Sam was very lucky to survive.
“He was at high risk of developing potentially-fatal blood poisoning and the operation to remove such a large section of his intestines was incredibly risky.”
Sam’s owner, Lorraine Graham, was petrified at the thought of losing her beloved pet.
She said: “We first noticed something was wrong was when Sam started being sick. and it gradually got worse until he was being sick every 20 minutes.
“I couldn’t believe it when PDSA x-rayed him and told us what was causing the blockage. We hadn’t been eating corn on the cob so he must have picked it up while outside,” she said.
“He was so weak and lethargic that I knew he was facing the fight of his life. Thankfully he pulled through and I can’t thank PDSA enough for saving him.”
“We’re extra careful with him now but I’m really happy that he’s made such a good recovery. He’s back to his old self again and is eating normally which is great.”
PDSA vets are issuing a warning to pet owners ahead of the Bank Holiday weekend, as many people may be planning barbecues.
Corn on the cob was one of the most common items removed from pets last year with 28 cases treated by PDSA. Other strange items swallowed by pets include bones (51 cases) and kebab sticks (7).