On World Dog Day, Mars Petcare is calling on more employers to introduce pet friendly policies at work. The company hopes to encourage more people to rehome a rescue dog.
Kate Menzies, director of people and organisation at Mars Petcare said: “Pet friendly policies are good for both dogs and owners. Dogs in the office can offer a sense of comfort, relieve stress, increase physical activity and even improve productivity.
“As for the dogs, they enjoy the chance to socialise all day. We are working with our partners at Battersea Dogs & Cats Home to raise awareness of the plight of rescue dogs and how employers can take simple steps to help their staff look after their pets.”
Mars Petcare and Battersea Dogs & Cats Home have been partners since 2009. The charity cares for nearly 5,000 dogs every year with well over 60 percent of dogs coming to the Home because their owners can no longer care for them. People gift their pets into Battersea for a number of reasons including change in circumstance – which may include a change in working hours. This could mean the dog would be left for too long on their own and the owners may no longer be able to give them the care they need.
Battersea’s Rehoming and Welfare Manager, Becky Fisher said: “Every dog is different, but no dog should be left alone at home for hours at a time whilst owners are at work. With the right environment at work, pet friendly policies and office dogs could make a real difference to people who want to rehome rescue dogs who find their working hours a barrier.”
Mars Petcare’s Top Five Tips for a Dog Friendly Office
- Set some simple guidelines for owners to make sure the dogs they bring into work will be relaxed and well-behaved in the office.
- Doggy name badges and sign-in sheets are really handy – so you know which dogs are in the building at all times.
- If you can, create some kind of dog friendly outdoor space so owners and pets can take ‘walkies’ near the office.
- Make everyone aware of the new policy from the start – some people are wary of dogs but the most well behaved pups will integrate really well and be a benefit to all.
- Think about the other policies you could introduce to help pet owners – for example in 2012, Mars launched its ‘Pet-ernity’ policy – giving staff ten hours of paid leave to care for and bond with a new kitten or puppy.
Mars Petcare’s brands PEDIGREE® and WHISKAS® supply all the dog and cat food helping to feed all Battersea’s animals. The company also provides free food packs to give to new owners when they adopt an animal.