This year’s 13 pets – who together weigh a staggering 296kg (46st 8lb) – have been selected to compete in the UK’s foremost pet slimming competition. The fat finalists, include:
- Curvy Cilla from Liverpool, who weighs in at nearly 8st 8lbs (54.4kg). Her canine companion, supersized Shyla, tips the scales at a hefty 7st 13lbs (50.2kg).
- Lucy, the cat, who ate and slept her way to a colossal 1st 5lbs (8.8kg) – around 120 percent overweight – after her owner mistakenly believed she was pregnant and fed her double portions!
- Seven-year-old Chihuahua Tyty who weighs almost a stone.
- Supersized kitty, Puff, from Sheffield now tips the scales at 1st 3lb (7.5kg), making her around 50 percent overweight.
- Four-year-old English Bulldog Ethel, from Manchester, has a weight problem because of her thieving ways. . She currently weighs in at 4st 13lb (30.3kg).
- Pebbles the rabbit once tipped the scales at a colossal 10Ib (4.5kg), making him more than 50 percent over his ideal weight (7Ib/3kg).
Nicola Martin, PDSA head of pet health and welfare, said: “Pet obesity is a serious issue affecting millions of UK pets.
“Like humans, pets carrying excess weight risk developing serious health conditions such as diabetes, arthritis and heart disease.
“Too many pets are being fed unsuitable diets and not receiving enough exercise. So it’s vital we educate owners on how to keep their pets fit and healthy before the problem gets even worse.
“If owners are unsure what to feed their pets, or are concerned about their weight, they should always seek advice from their vet.”
Nicola added: “With the help of PDSA Pet Fit Club, these pets and their owners will be making positive changes to their lifestyles to help them slim down to a healthy weight.
“PDSA will support them every step of the way over the next six months to ensure they succeed.”
For more information about this year’s pet finalists and to follow their progress visit www.petfitclub.org.uk