Paul O’Grady has knocked the Queen the top spot and been named as the nation’s favourite dog owner. The ‘For the Love of Dogs’ presenter came out top dog ahead of Her Majesty, chat show host Graham Norton and X Factor’s Simon Cowell.
The poll by tails.com also found that a third of people (30 percent) tend to ‘like’ celebrities more if they are known to love dogs.
As well as revealing the nation’s favourite owners, the poll also found that the Labrador is Britain’s favourite breed – coming out top dog in the vote ahead of the Golden Retriever and Border Collie. Others popular canines in the top ten of over 300 recognised dog breeds include Boxers, Beagles and Pugs.
James Davidson, co-founder and CEO of tails.com, said: “We are a nation of dog lovers and the survey shows that we take to dog owners almost as much. We’re big fans of Paul O’Grady and his TV show so we weren’t too surprised to see him top the poll, even in the week of the Queen’s birthday.
“It’s interesting to see that every owner listed has a different breed of dog, emphasising what a unique and diverse species they are and why there should be no such thing as a one-bowl fits all for dog food.”
THE UK’S FAVOURITE DOG OWNERS
- Paul O’Grady, owner to Eddie, a Jackahuahua (Jack Russell-Chihuahua)
- The Queen, owner to over 30 Corgis during her reign
- Graham Norton, owner to Bailey, a Labradoodle, and Madge, a terrier
- Simon Cowell, owner to Cairn Terriers, Sqiddly and Diddly
- Tom Hardy, owner to Woody, a Labrador Mix
- Davina McCall, owner to Beaucerons, Donny and Bo
- Amanda Holden, owner to Rudie, a Border Terrier
- Gordon Ramsey, owner to Bruno, a Cocker Spaniel
- Lewis Hamilton, owner to bulldogs, Roscoe and Coco
- 10.Professor Green, owner Arthur, a bull terrier
THE UK’S FAVOURITE DOG BREEDS
- Golden Retriever
- Border Collie
- German Shepard
- Cocker Spaniel
- Springer Spaniel
- Jack Russell Terrier