Current Affairs

E-Cigarettes and pets

Following reports that a puppy in Cornwall has died after biting into an e-cigarette refill, vets are warning pet owners to ensure they are kept out of reach of animals.

Related Articles

British Veterinary Association (BVA) President and vet Robin Hargreaves said:“This is a tragic case and very worrying when you consider how many people are now using e-cigarettes. Nicotine poisoning acts very quickly and can be fatal, especially when large doses are involved. E-cigarettes and refills can easily contain sufficient quantities of nicotine to kill a small animal very quickly.

Hargreaves continues: “If you use e-cigarettes, we recommend storing all equipment safely out of reach of your pet. If you suspect your pet has chewed or eaten an e-cigarette or any toxic substance then it is vital that you contact a vet for treatment as quickly as possible.”

BVA understands that the female puppy was a recently rehomed Staffordshire cross. It became unwell on Sunday 16 February after apparently consuming an e-cigarette refill and passed away on Monday morning after failing to respond to treatment.

For more information and advice from vets on animal welfare issues visit the BVA website at

Image: Steve-65

Back to top button