Current AffairsIndustry News

Animals perish in pet shop blaze

Animals are believed to have died in a Yorkshire pet shop, when the garden centre became alight.

The Stephen H Smith’s garden centre on Pool Road was 20 percent involved in fire.

Six fire engines were used and crews continued to damped the building at 11:30pm last night.

Pet Safari, the shop within the centre, posted to Facebook: “I woke this Morning to the devastating news that Pet Safari had a fire last night and will be closed till further notice. We are all devastated. We managed to save a few animals but many were lost.”

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “We are very saddened by last nights events and so sorry for the loss of all those lovely animals 🙁 .”

A local store, Petwise, offered its help to the store in a show of solidarity within the pet sector. Other companies such as Aquadip and The Blue Barn have reached out with their support.

Back to top button