Pets at Home claims that the average UK dog weighs 22 percent more than its ideal weight. The retail chain’s study also reveals the towns in which pets are most likely to be overweight.
The pet retailer analysed the weights of 508,909 dogs across the country. It found that Swinton in Yorkshire had the heaviest canines, with the average dog weighing 48 percent more than it ought to.
Similar results were found in Edgeware, Dundee and Beckton, where dogs were found to be 47 percent over their guideline weight.
Dr. Maeve Moorcroft, veterinary advisor for Pets at Home, said: “It’s interesting to see that on average the nation’s dogs are struggling to maintain their ideal weight. One of the things many pet owners struggle with is not spoiling their beloved dog with too many treats and snacks, for example cheese and chocolate, which can be harmful to their health.
“However, just as in humans, eating too many treats and carrying extra pounds can have consequences for canines, including damage to joints, bones and ligaments, problems with breathing and digestion and even quality and length of life in extreme cases.
“That’s why it’s important for pet owners to feed a balanced, nutritious diet to their dog.”
Towns with overweight dogs
The towns in which Pets at Home found the most overweight dogs are:
- Swinton (Yorkshire) – 48 percent (over their guideline weight*)
- Edgware, Dundee and Beckton – 47 percent
- Ferndale,Hounslow and Greenock – 46 percent
- Faringdon, Dovercourt, Cliftonville – 45 percent
- Blackwood, Hainault and Bidford on Avon- 44 percent
- Bletchley, Penarth, Chinnor, Caddington, Seaford – 43 percent
- Barton upon Humber, Branksome and Brentford – 43 percent
- Cheshunt, Kilwinning – 42 percent
- Welshpool, Biddenden, Livingston and Swaffham – 41 percent
- Droylesden, Todmorden, Radlet – 40.5 percent
Not all areas in the UK matched this trend. On average dogs in County Durham’s Consett are closest to their ideal weight, at just 0.99 percent overweight. Dogs in Bridport and Atherton were actually found to be ever so slightly underweight.
Towns with dogs close to their ideal weight
The towns where dogs are most likely on average to be nearest to their ideal weight are:
- Barnard Castle
*Guideline weight according to Kennel Club breed standards and veterinary data