Veterinary

Vets warn of Easter danger to dogs

Almost half of vets (45 percent) treated at least one case of chocolate poisoning last Easter, say figures released by the British Veterinary Association (BVA). UK vets have warned dog owners to keep Easter treats away from pets in 2016.

Despite an increase in awareness, the BVA’s Voice of the Veterinary Profession survey showed that that many pet owners are still having to make urgent yet preventable trips to the vets over the Easter holidays. Six percent of vets who saw pets with chocolate poisoning treated five or more cases.

BVA President Sean Wensley said: “Easter is great fun for all the family and this should include much loved pets too – but it’s easy to accidentally leave something tempting lying around that a pet might find too hard to resist. Dogs, in particular, have a keen sense of smell and will easily win at any Easter egg hunt so wherever chocolate is being stored – inside or outside – make sure it is pet proof and out of reach of inquisitive noses to avoid an emergency trip to the vet.

Related Articles

“Over the bank holiday weekend veterinary practice opening hours may, vary so make sure you know how to contact your local vet during Easter. If you suspect your pet has eaten chocolate we’d advise contacting your local vet immediately.”

Back to top button